By now, you’ve probably heard about how dogs seem to respond to CBD in the same way that we do. Given this discovery, you’re probably more than eager to start administrating this natural compound to your furry friend in an effort to help them find relief. These days, more reputable CBD companies are creating special hemp-infused products that are formulated for pets, which means that it’s easier than ever to give your beloved dog this plant-based cannabinoid.
With CBD being such a popular new trend for dogs, many owners are wondering how much they should give them each day in order to actually see results. After all, there are a lot of different breeds out there, and so it’s safe to assume that there’s no one dosage that’s suitable for every dog on the planet.
Quality, Dosage and Other Things to Consider
If you’re ready to start providing your dog with CBD, we’re here to help you figure out which dosage is best for your unique pup. We’ll be discussing what factors go into determining how much to give them on a daily basis. This way, all that you need to worry about is selecting the most high-quality CBD pet oil that you can find.
The first thing to know is that yes, different dog breeds and sizes require different dosage levels. What’s just the right amount for a small breed will be hardly enough for a large breed. And, the right dosage level for an extremely large dog might be far more than necessary for a very small one.
Now, The good news is that it’s very easy to figure out what dosage level is right based on your dog’s size and breed. CBD researchers have come up with a very clear guide that’s based on your dog’s weight.
Keep in mind that the dosage level is measured in milligrams. CBD products come in different milligram concentrations, which refers to the amount of CBD that’s in the formula compared to the other ingredients.
Determining the Dosage Based on Size and Breed
- Small Breeds: 20lbs and Below: Dogs that are twenty pounds and below may find relief with a 150mg CBD oil. Most owners of small breeds give their dog a single drop of 150mg CBD oil per day, which equals about 0.5 milligrams.
- This means that this size range can enjoy anywhere from one to four milligrams daily, although they can take more if needed.
- Large Breeds: 61lbs and Over: For large dogs, we recommend a 600mg CBD pet oil. Large dogs tend to do very well with a few drops each day, which will be anywhere from two to five milligrams of CBD.
Other Factors to Consider
Now that you’ve figured out how to use your dog’s weight to come up with the right dosage level, let’s get into the other factors that you should consider. This will help you zero in on the exact number of drops that will best help your dog.
- Your Dog’s Ailment: The first thing that you need to take into account is the ailment that you’re trying to treat with CBD. The severity of the ailment and the symptoms can determine how much you should give your dog each day. For example, if you’re just trying to give your dog some CBD to help them during a stressful time, you can give them less. But, if your dog is dealing with extremely painful arthritis, you will probably want to give them a little more than the suggested dose.
- A Dog’s Endocannabinoid System: Is the same system that we have which responds to CBD. This system is supposed to produce cannabinoids on its own, but many of us, as well as our furry friends, are deficient. Research on the endocannabinoid system is still underway, but CBD experts believe that how deficient one is in cannabinoids has a lot to do with how much they should consume each day. Of course, you can’t measure the number of cannabinoids that your dog naturally produces on its own. Still, it’s good to keep in mind that levels vary from dog to dog.
- The Dog’s Tolerance Level: Of course, some dogs may not tolerate CBD as well as others. Some may feel groggy if you give them a particularly high dose. So, keep this in mind when you determine the amount to give them each day.
How to Come Up with the Right Dosage Level for Your Canine
This is where it can get a bit tricky, so follow closely.
Start with a Low Dose and Work Your Way UpAs is the case with most things, it’s always best to start with the lowest dose and monitor how your dog responds before giving them more. For many dogs, the lowest dose is enough. However, if you feel that they’re not responding to CBD as well as you had hoped, you can gradually increase the amount over time.
Be Consistent with Your Dosing
Try to give your dog the same amount of CBD daily for at least a couple of weeks before reassessing your dosage plan. That’s because for some dogs, a couple of weeks need to pass before the CBD starts to “kick in.”
Follow the Instructions on the Bottle of CBD Oil
The good thing about the fact that CBD for pets is becoming so popular is that more and more companies are making dog-specific CBD oils that have the dosage recommendations clearly printed on the labels. If you’re really concerned about getting that dosage just right, simply follow the brand’s recommendations.
Know that CBD is Considered Nontoxic
According to researchers, CBD is nontoxic, which means that you shouldn’t worry too much about giving them a higher dose than suggested. Of course, always monitor your dog after administering CBD to make sure that they’re tolerating it well. In rare cases, a dog may be allergic to cannabis. Also, if your dog seems unusually sleepy after consuming CBD, you may want to decrease the dosage level, at least temporarily. Some dogs need a little more time to adjust than others.
Administering it Properly Still Remains Key
CBD products that are specially formulated for dogs are becoming increasingly popular, and for good reason. Of course, how effective it is, largely has to do with whether or not you’re giving them the right dosage level each day.
Leave a comment